Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Voice of the People, Austria 9/12/12


My name is Annaliese Kendlbacher; I am a twenty-year-old citizen from a very small village named Elspthen, just outside of Salzburg City in Austria.  Although I am only a villager, I have done my research and I want to address the concerns of my fellow villagers, as well as concerns from the other villages in the area.  We love this beautiful place we have grown up in and we believe that we should have a say in what changes.
I would like to start off by bringing up my fears and concerns of the rural development of our beautiful Austrian countryside.  My family, as well as many other citizens from our small village, lives on a farm and we make all of our money and get all of our food through our crops and local vegetation.  Community always comes first and we all make an extreme effort to make sure everyone has enough to get by.  With the recent push from the European Union to become more competitive, we feel as though they are trying to break the bond of our community.  My father always has always said, “Why fix something that isn’t broken?” 
My favorite part about Austria is the character it holds from all of the hidden spots that nature has for us to explore.  I fear that by urbanizing this land we may loose some of the wonderful character it holds.  I remember each summer more clearly than any other season: exploring Gollinger Waterfall and getting to see all of the beautiful vegetation.  I went swimming in the insanely gorgeous Wolfgangsee lake and got to see what towns are like when they have no electricity.  I got to climb two insanely huge mountains: Untersberg and Gaisberg and I saw views of a lifetime.  I even ventured into the narrow salt mines and walked right across the boarder into Germany.  All my favorite gems hidden from the urbanization that has started to occur.  I fear that making our country more “up to speed” will take away from this very special place I call home.
As such a wealthy country I do not believe that much has to change.  With our love and community based minds I believe that we, as a country, can get ourselves through anything.  I fear that if things are to change than local farmers will begin to strike.  In 2009 when French farmers food was selling for less they went on strike.  According to Euronews, “Tractors blocked main routes into several major cities, including Toulouse in the south west, where rush-hour traffic was reduced to a crawl.”  The farmers felt as though there were being mistreated and that is how we are starting to feel.  We, the farmers, have no say in what’s going on in our land and we are prepared to strike and only grow food for us in order to keep the ills of the hyper-modern world away.
I believe that the reason that the global economic troubles have started to occur is because of the urbanization that has started in the other part of the European Union.  My mood concerning these global economic troubles leaves a pit in my stomach and my mood solemn. Although I am worried, I am proud of Austria for continuing to stay strong.  We, member countries from the EU, must stand together and help each other out in times of hardship.   Although everyone in my village and country are well-fed, working, and comfortable I feel prepared to help farmers restart their farms.  I am very experienced, as are my fellow villagers, and together we have made a pact that if towns stop becoming urbanized we will start to help others get back on their feet.

Thank you,
Annaliese

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.