Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Look Back on the World: From Destruction to Growth





In the beginning of this worldwide experiment, I maintained confidence about the EU’s military power and felt our strength as a group of nations was growing. Though we had our own set of problems within and between countries, we were comprised of the most diligent, hard working citizens, willing to overcome even the most extreme obstacles. I expressed these strengths in my initial address with the following statement:

   The EU has long worked diligently to improve our military capabilities and has moved up in the defense world significantly within the last decade. We made our presence known between 2003 and 2004 after successfully sending police and military forces into Bosnia and the former Yugoslavic Republic of Macedonia with a peace-enforcement mandate. Since then, our leading countries in defense include Germany, Italy, the UK, and France, which use 70 percent of our military funding. The only EU nation not a member the European Defence Agency based in Brussels is Denmark.                                                          At this point, we provide a fully prepared military for any small and most large-scale operations. While our military strength is constantly compared to the U.S., who physically has more artillery, the UK and other member countries hold strong alliances with this super power. We will use this to our advantage if needed, but remain a strong group of nations ready to defend or deploy if appropriate. Because the EU lacks many permanent command/control centers for military, our larger member states named above take control of more complicated operations. These leading nations are key attributes however, as they help organize resources from smaller member nations as well.              
       Our military scientists are to thank for our strength in this sector and they continue to release new technologies to date. While our new equipment will not be used in active duty yet, the EU is fully capable of defending all of our territory effectively.            
      The current humanitarian forces from the UK in Libya prove we have the ability to efficiently aid outside nations, while maintaining relative peace in our member countries. We must not grow wary from the recent death of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya and three others however. Though the EU strongly condemns the killing of these US diplomats, our forces will continue their work and do our best to prevent another event like this from occurring. It is important that our commitment to helping the Libyan citizens remains strong and our forces continue their work with positive hopes for the future. Additionally, we will take extra caution in ensuring the EU official’s safety at the offices in Tripoli.                          Our plan of action for the time being will be to continue our current military aid efforts in other nations outside of our territory as well as our work with NATO. Military scientists will continue to develop and test new technology for the nations, but it will not be used in our current missions yet. While we have improved in our military operations dramatically, it is important that we do not get ahead of ourselves. We are strong nations ready to take on any challenge, but will do so wisely.  

In addition to including our strengths, I wanted to highlight our efforts as nations helping others outside of our boundaries as well. This objective was one I wanted to clearly support, no matter what events were to occur in the future. In the same instance however, it was important to put on the table that if the EU felt threatened, and we have been throughout our history, we would not be afraid to defend ourselves.
Thus, in the following response to the information about 55 Cancri, my steadfast mentality was made clear. I carefully chose how I stated being against the building of this machine without appearing simply close-minded. It was of the utmost importance however, to display that I strongly felt we were getting ahead of ourselves. The EU was thrilled with Canada’s compromise to send another neutral signal, but I assumed the decision to send this signal would be public information as it was thoroughly discussed during a meeting with all nations. While Japan and the LAU clearly expressed their opinions about the extra signal appearing pointless and we should just get on with the machine, I was comforted by Canada’s careful approach not to become involved in this 5 trillion dollar project. In retrospect, the EU should have offered something to Canada to solidify them as allies.   
In the following message, my attempt was to highlight a temporary plan built on the premise of caution and careful thought. With regard to my statement, the military will hold off on building up our defense for the time being, for compromise is important to reach a solution”, I attempted to maintain relatively neutral ground that was not threatening, but looking back, I can understand where the notion of fear appeared.  However, what I do not understand are the actions by Japan that appeared to be calculated prior to a response from anyone else regarding the signal. Though they had been stricken with natural and human made disaster, the Old Japan was a force I naively assumed would be far more open with information.

Below are the closing thoughts of an address to the Accord when I believed Canada was still part of the Resistors:  

“Think of your quality of life now and all aspects you appreciate most in this world. If we are to dive into a 5 trillion dollar venture to create a device that we have almost no information about and our end result is destruction, what will we have left? Current crises are shaking the planet enough as we speak. Let us fight causes worth fighting for and improve the problems we have now.”

To view full: http://globalsignal.blogspot.com/2012/09/advice-from-eu-military-lets-not-get-in.html
 
Following this address, I will admit, I had serious doubts about what would come from this signal and while I am a man of progress, my gut feeling regarding this signal told me something else. While part of me wanted to pursue the idea of extraterrestrial life, my time as a leader taught be to follow my instincts. That is why in my following response, my feelings grew stronger with the worry that responding to this signal would result in the human species getting in over their heads and suffering far more than benefiting. My regrets about how I could have communicated this instinct begin here. As I stated before, communication with Canada should have been more open and kept a closer eye on. I would have been open for another compromise, but by the end of our next meeting, Canada’s mind was already made up to merge with the Accord, though their representatives seemed rather divided.
My covert plan discussed with other members of the EU was to build up our army and employ the advances we had to be used if attack were to occur upon us first. My words were genuine in the statement that I never wanted to employ military force, which is why I never did. In complete honestly, I do not know what I would have done differently to try to change the minds of the world leaders that were so firmly made up. Other than through the power of persuasion, consideration for everything that would be lost, and the fear of being attack, I do not see what else I could have done but conformed. Since supporting this machine was never something I was willing to do, I gave it my best shot to stop this machine from manifesting.

The following excerpt is what I can only assume caused the nations of Japan and the LAU concern:

      “I think of myself as reasonable man and would be terribly dismayed to use military force if a settlement does not result from our summit tomorrow. Despite my position as defense leader, employing military strength is never the first option to solve a pressing global issue, however I will advise my troops to do what they must for the safety and stability of our nations. Before you all make any decisions tomorrow, I ask you to please think of your family and the future generations that will be shaped by our plan of action with this machine. Millions of people are struggling to survive and support their families as it is. Unless building this machine will magically solve those problems, I do not see the worth of spending trillions of dollars on such a whim. We, the Resistors, will stand firm in our beliefs to halt any actions toward the development of this machine and ask that the Accord deeply consider the costs and benefits of such a venture. We received this signal as a planet and we will respond accordingly as a united planet. Let us take small careful steps now and our giant leap for mankind will come again.”

To see full: http://globalsignal.blogspot.com/2012/09/eu-military-final-advisory.html

“In response to the European Union's fears regarding the machine, including the EU's military threats, we must let this be known: Japan is not looking for war.  The Japanese military is going forward with our orders from His Imperial Majesty, and His Imperial Majesty has thought deeply about the needs of our populace as well as the impacts the 55 Cancri Machine may have on global safety.”  -Satoshi Morimoto (森本 敏)

Full: http://globalsignal.blogspot.com/2012/09/japanese-military-still-fully-in.html

This response should have been a key indicator that actions had already been taken towards constructing the machine, however, after being informed that this was true in a meeting with other leaders, I admittedly was surprised. I was too naïve to think the Resistors and the Accord could go back and fourth arguing the same points, without actions being taken. However, I was still offended that the EU leaders were not trusted at all. Looking back on my response, I regret saying anything about the military and admit to a serious misjudgment.
The fact that this machine was set to go made me feel like I had absolutely no say in the future of our world. Even before it was activated, I was deeply saddened that even the idea of this machine turned our world to such a hostile environment. In this realization of regret and sadness, I tried to find a silver lining to express in my final response to the world the night before it would be changed forever.

       “In my last address to you all, I would like to clarify and make peace with opposing nations. First off, I, Ton Van Osch, have no intention of deploying military forces to other countries for attack. Carrying the responsibility to defend all European nations from foreign harm is a daunting task and I had to make clear that we were strong and ready to fight if rebellion were to occur against us. I take my privilege as a leader very seriously and must be a strong example for the populous when they feel threatened. It is for this reason that I believe a powerful local military is always needed, even if it does not need to be used.      
       As far as building the machine goes, I applaud Japan and the LAU for being so bold as to pool their resources and prepare the machine for activation. While I still feel our nation has bigger problems on the home front to attend to, I recognize the hard work and diligence that went into this project. I could sit here and write about how I believe this machine is a mistake, but the deed is done and I am a mere player in this experiment now. If the machine works and changes life as we know it, then I will be nothing but appreciative to the Accord nations. And if it fails, I will be nothing but welcoming to you all and will help in any way possible for the greater good of our world. Though I still do not support this machine’s activation, I do not want to be divided. Fear of the unknown is always a difficult obstacle to face, but since we are going to face it regardless, I would rather be united with you all.

Thank you,
Ton Van Osch”

Following an attempt to hold onto any hope for benefits that could come from this machine, my final address recapped the changes that occurred over the year and how I planned to lead the EU forward with a new mindset. My feelings about the entire experiment can be summarized best in the following sections.

“While the use of military force in an attempt to stop these dangerous developments was briefly considered, I am determined to continue a peaceful approach. Before, I passively sat back and defended my nations, but I now see that I can continue to be peaceful while actively reach out to other areas of the world to achieve success…I fear if we stay widely divided in our rebuilding of major cities and cultures, history will repeat itself and the world will be destroyed once again, leaving us two steps behind where we started. I worry about the New Australia as well and fear the shield malfunctioning, setting angry “human weapons” out to the world. I believe our world must reach a common denominator and focus as much energy on that in order to unite us to move forward.”

To see full: http://globalsignal.blogspot.com/2012/10/shaken-but-still-standing.html

As a whole, this signal from the Others successfully changed humanity forever, and certainly taught each individual about themselves as well as how we interact with one another. In the final address after the activation of the machine, Arata Atushi eloquently addressed feelings I share as well in his thoughtful response a year after the change.    

    “If I have learned one thing from the severing, it’s that nothing is worth doing unless everyone is one board and everyone shares the benefit.  If we wanted to we could have shared certain information with the EU, Russia, and, China that would have brought them onboard with the accord and the world we live in would be much different than the one we live in today, for the better. We can only bemoan our losses for so long before we put it behind us and begin to move forward. ”

To see full: http://globalsignal.blogspot.com/2012/10/moving-forward-with-shared-benefit.html

This excerpt was a key realization that I believe all leaders must come to on their own in order to move forward and work cohesively as separate units living as a single entity.
The advice I have to the future generations of the planet, universe, and any other life forms is, understanding. Work to understand why others act the way they do and why you act the way you do. This task is never easy, and often feels pointless to work for, but it is a key characteristic for any society to grow physically, emotionally, and socially. 

The thought I will leave you with revolves around the two items pictured below. A chestnut and a coin. These two objects represent two vital traits required for any society to function. From the EU’s standpoint, the shaky economy was an initial reason why we did not want to engage in the building of the machine and has caused countless problems around the world today. However, without a form of currency, development would go no where and the global markets would never function. This specific coin displays several hands working together as well, a representation of how unity will allow money to benefit and work for us. The chestnut, on the other hand,  represents nature, the resource that should forever be respected and preserved, as it was here far before us humans. Half of the world has been decimated and we are left with little. Nature, is the blank slate the Others have left us to move forward with. Let us take this opportunity and use it to our advantage. Learn, rebuild and move forward together.
                                                                                          Thank you,
Ton Von Osch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.