Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Monumental Day



The day is finally upon us.  The last three months have been filled with tension, excitement, and above all uncertainty, as the world has struggled to respond to our first known contact with an extraterrestrial existence.  This colossal event threatened to tear our planet apart even before the assigned “deadline” for the machine’s completion. Arguments over the intended purpose of the device, and the potential consequences of a decision to either build it or to forego its construction, resulted in trade embargoes and sanctions between nations and brought several countries to the brink of military conflict.  While this inability to reach a global accord has produced some unfavorable results, I must say I am not the least bit surprised or disheartened by it.  The issues surrounding the machine’s construction are tremendously important as well as divisive, and these clashes between nations demonstrate that the entire world cares deeply about the outcome.
From a personal and professional standpoint, I am overwhelmingly excited by the prospect of what is about to unfold.  As many of you are aware, I changed my initial stance regarding the machine and joined my fellow EU leaders in opposition of its construction, in order to promote greater unity among the various factions of the European Union.  Nevertheless, over the past few months I have found myself torn between my devotion to the EU and my natural scientific curiosity. In all honesty, a part of me is glad that the machine was constructed, since I believe the chance to make contact with extraterrestrial beings is an opportunity too great to pass up, regardless of the potential dangers.  I await the upcoming events with a fair amount of trepidation, but with an even greater sense of hope and pride for all mankind.  I cannot help feeling as though humanity is on the brink of the most significant chapter in its relatively brief history, and I consider myself extremely fortunate to be involved.

David Willetts
Minister of Science, European Union

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.