Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Look Back

Dear Diary-

As this year comes to a close, I have decided to go through all I wrote down in the past few years considering so much has changed. Before the machine Austria knew how to pull all of our agricultural knowledge into one, which really helped us become an agricultural superpower. Before the beginning of the machine my covert agenda was: “It would be really perfect if the other superpowers could stop their crops from growing so we would be the only agricultural super power.” This was because we were doing so well with the technology we had since we had learned how to farm with what we had in the most beneficial way. There was never a push to bring in new, costly technology that would screw up the farming pattern we had gotten ourselves into.

My whole life I feared that Elspethen, my home village, would get rurally developed. To be honest, that was my only fear until I was twenty years old. I wrote in my journal, “I would like to start off by bringing up my fears and concerns of the rural development of our beautiful Austrian countryside. My family, as well as many other citizens from our small village, lives on a farm and we make all of our money and get all of our food through our crops and local vegetation. Community always comes first and we all make an extreme effort to make sure everyone has enough to get by. With the recent push from the European Union to become more competitive, we feel as though they are trying to break the bond of our community. My father always has always said, ‘Why fix something that isn’t broken?’” I honestly think that is how we should have kept it, there should have not been a machine created. The machine ruined all of the natural beauty we once had.

I must be biased to this land, but I just loved Elspethen and Austria so much. One day I wrote in my journal, “I remember my last summer there more clearly than anything else. My favorite part about the old Austria is the character it used to hold from all of the hidden spots that nature had for us to explore. I feared that by urbanizing this land we would have lost some of the wonderful character it held, and it did. My experiences exploring Gollinger Waterfall and getting to see all of the beautiful vegetation is a memory I will always treasure. I went swimming in the insanely gorgeous Wolfgangsee lake and got to see what all Austrian villages are like when they have no electricity. I got to climb two insanely huge mountains: Untersberg and Gaisberg and I saw views of a lifetime. I even ventured into the narrow salt mines and walked right across the boarder into Germany. All my favorite gems hidden from the urbanization that had started to occur.
There was a wrench thrown in after my fellow countries in the European Union started to fail, while Austria and the Austrian people started to prosper. From my journal I read how I felt at the time, “I believe that the reason that the global economic troubles have started to occur is because of the urbanization that has started in the other part of the European Union. My mood concerning these global economic troubles leaves a pit in my stomach and my mood solemn. Although I am worried, I am proud of Austria for continuing to stay strong. We, member countries from the EU, must stand together and help each other out in times of hardship. Although everyone in my village and country are well fed, working, and comfortable I feel prepared to help farmers restart their farms. I am very experienced, as are my fellow villagers, and together we have made a pact that if towns stop becoming urbanized we will start to help others get back on their feet.” Although not all European Union countries were not doing well Austria was strong during that harsh time, right before the machine.

I will still stand by Austria’s decision to not support the machine. I once wrote in my journal, “Austria will prove that we can be a self-sufficient nation because we do not support the machine. In order for this to work and to become an independent superpower we have to work on a couple things. The first thing is finding a new leader who is vocal and charismatic. This new leader will need to paint a picture for our divided country that it IS worth the short-term difficulties in order to maintain our naturalistic way of life. Austria cannot afford to be split into two more factions so we need to find a leader as soon as possible with as close to 100% support as possible. This new leader also needs to show the country that we do not need the countries from the accord. Austrian people know how to raise our own food and the farmers can teach others in our country to do the same. We do not need the people from the accord, we know how to raise our own food and we can teach others in our country to do the same. Although Austria will loose money from exports we will also be saving money through not having to import goods. There will need to be an increase of chickens, cows, pigs, and other animals, in order to become more self sufficient, so that Austria does not go hungry. We will also, as a country, need to learn how to make our own clothes through not having waste. Stop wasting fuel and oil, and we need to become more conscientious as a nation to conserve what we do have. As a country Austria needs to focus on what we need, not what we want. Because all ties have been cut off from us we need to make bonds with the other Resistor nations and by forming special bonds with the others Austria will have new countries to trade with. This would help Austria by importing goods we have lost from other EU countries and opening new profitable partners.” The machine was bad news from the beginning, and the result of splitting the world really did disappoint me.

After the machine was built I always feared: how will the machine be shared? I once wondered, “If the machine is being built in Latin America, which means they will have total access to it all the time, how will countries like Japan and Canada react to that? I believe this could cause a stress throughout the world, which could result in a larger conflict than we have now. I fear for the world, I love this place and all the beauty it holds, I would never want it destroyed.” 
In my last journal entry I wrote this and attached some pictures of my favorite Austrian places: “My hope for the future is this: build up the land from the ground up. Start to use the technology again slowly, and maybe we could rebuild the European Union. The people are afraid of what is in store for the future: will we all starve? What will the new government be like? Will we all be okay? My stomach turns into knots as I worry about my future, my family, my income, and the population in general.”
Sincerely,
Annaelise

Untersberg

Swiss Alps

Wolfgangsee Lake

Salt Mines

Gollinger Waterfall

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.